Monday, February 20, 2006

Ups and downs in the Articles of Religion

I found myself reading through some of the Thirty-nine Articles of Religion this morning. That's not as odd as it sounds. Thanks to my good friend, Skip Burzumato, the 1928 Book of Common Prayer has come to play a rather large role in my morning devotions and, well, the Articles of Religion are at the back. It is true, though, that that makes me an ordained Baptist minister seeking membership in a Presbyterian church and saying my prayers from the Anglican prayer book...

Back to the Articles of Religion, though. Two things captured my attention.

First, I was struck by the fact that the third Article of Religion, immediately after the affirmation of the Holy Trinity and the dual nature of our Lord (human and divine), is "Of the going down of Christ into Hell," namely, that "As Christ died for us and was buried; so also is it to be believed, that he went down into Hell." The placement makes some sense, coming as it does right before the fourth Article, "Of the Resurrection of Christ" (his descent into hell naturally preceding his resurrection). It seems unfortunate, though, that such a controversial doctrine is thus given such prominence. I'm in sympathy with evangelical scholars such as Wayne Grudem who have questioned the biblical validity of this doctrine--and pointed out its very tardy (sixth-century, as I recall) inclusion in the Apostle's Creed (especially as an affirmation separate from the burial of Christ).

Second, and somewhat conversely, I was impressed by the truth and beauty of the fourth Article of Religion, "Of the Resurrection of Christ."
Christ did truly rise from death, and took again his body, with flesh, bones, and all things appertaining to the perfection of Man's nature; wherewith he ascended into Heaven, and there sitteth, until he return to judge all Men at the last day.
This truth surely is at the center of the Christian religion. As Skip told me more than once (quoting one of his seminary professors), we believe that "the dust of the earth is seated on the throne of heaven." Jesus is "of one substance with the Father" (citing the second Article there), to be sure. We worship him as such. And yet... he is also the human lord of the universe, reigning from heaven in all his human glory. And it is that glory which we Christians anticipate sharing with him. I never cease to be amazed at this great truth.

The third Article is a descent, in my view, in more ways than one. The fourth Article ascends to the heights and is itself a great gift to men.

Click here to read the rest of the post...

6 Comments:

At 11:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bill --

Great title for the post, and great post itself. As you know, you touch on something that has been a question of mine (and my wife's) for some time now!

Does this mean your blogging hiatus is over?

Ryan

 
At 11:42 AM, Blogger B-Wildered said...

Thanks, Ryan.

Here's hoping that it doesn't take me four months to get my next post up.

But, in any case, I don't intend to take the blogsite down.

Speaking of ups and downs...

 
At 9:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bill! Glad to see you post again! I have continued to check frequently over the last few months!
Beth

 
At 12:44 PM, Blogger B-Wildered said...

Thanks, Beth. We'll see how long this lasts. :)

 
At 8:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bill,

Thanks for sending this my way!

This is actually my very first experience with a BLOG (I know I'm way behind the times)!

I enjoyed reading your thoughts. To be honest, I've never read the Articles of Religion and before this morning was unaware of the controversy regarding the docrine of Christ's descent to Hell...you've peaked my interest though! Thanks again.

Micah

 
At 10:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

" It is true, though, that that makes me an ordained Baptist minister seeking membership in a Presbyterian church and saying my prayers from the Anglican prayer book..."

I believe the correct term for that, quoting Douglas, is "ecclesiologically promiscuous.”

:-)


Interesting thoughts on hell. I don't have a Bible in front of me, but it's most of the thinking on that taking from the short passage in Galatians? It is definitely preached in more than just Anglican churches. I remember hearing a whole doctrine growing up about Christ going to hell, wrestling the keys from hell to Satan, and offering sinners born before Christ a chance at redemption.

Caleb

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com